Wednesday, July 11, 2012

An inevitable war with only casualties


How to win a fight with someone who doesn’t understand my reasoning? I guess I can’t win.
It rarely happens anymore. I can read her like a book, roughly written sometimes, unwillingly written maybe, with almost no room for an open end. 

Stuck on the linguistic level on the phone, I opened an online dictionary in a hurry and tried to translate German or English into a language she understood. How do you say “privilege”, how do you say “scientifically”, how do you say “psychologically” or “doctrines”? How do you piece the words together to make a sentence? Why didn’t she respond to the sentences I made? “Why don’t you speak my language?!”

“You just don’t understand!” she complained.

“Yes, I do. I understand perfectly why you are at where you are right now and all your so called good habits. But I can’t accept it, and I don’t want, and I shouldn’t have to!”

So, it comes down to fundamental personal choices, well, my personal choices. Maybe I am not ready to take you in as you are. I can’t un-learn what I have learned; and I am sick of lying to myself.  I can’t pretend not to know what I know now, I was fully aware of the consequences. 

Do I want to be an unhappy Socrates or a happy pig? Have I become a victim of modern humanity studies? 

There was a strip from Calvin and Hobbes where they were about to roll off a cliff:

Calvin: Knowing means suffering. The less you know, the more happiness you will have. 

Hobbes: … 

As they rolled off the cliff and landed on their heads in a pond.

Hobbes: I don’t know how much of this happiness I can bear. 

I had to paraphrase it, couldn’t find the strip online just now. 

It did surprise me somehow, that we fight about tiny issues; but I knew right from the beginning, such conflicts would come, and maybe at a velocity exceeds my mental capacity. I am not from the 70’s, and I will never be, and I worked hard to develop the ability to question what I do, or what I had been doing all through my teenage years, what I had learned under given odd social circumstances, now I have the right and ability to question it all and think critically – translated into her worst nightmare and kept both of us awake all night long. It is an inevitable war without winner but casualties. 

“We will find a solution,” I said to her, “it won’t be a Hollywood happy ending, but it will be the best we can make off. I am willing to compromise, if you are meeting me half way.”

“I have been doing it all my life, your grandma has been doing it all her life too!”

“And the cycle ends here.”

“We all think that you have studied too much!”

“I have heard that before. You’d rather me to lead a life that resembles yours, but it won’t happen. I worked hard to prevent it from happening to me.”

“It’s the generation gap that causes the trouble! And your over loaded studies and theories!”

“Do you realize that I can just turn the sentence around and accuse you of being ‘under loaded’ of studies and theories? Just like you used to compare me with other people’s children constantly, without knowing that it’d break your heart if I were to tell you that I’d wish for other people’s mother?”

“Hey, you are dealing with human beings here!”

“I know, I am one of them.” 

Sorry love, this is the only way I can protect myself, even it means I might compel you to question your entire belief system and make you realize that what you have been doing in the past 30 years is … actually … in vain. It saddens me to know that you are thus hurt, it saddens me to know that I still have to protect myself from you; but at least this time around, I won’t allow any insincerity, even it means to give up a fairy tale ending.  

No comments: