Thursday, November 20, 2008

Guten Tag Doktor

I was already awake before the alarm went off at 7:30AM -- the big day, and my brain knew that, somehow. Shower, espresso, news online, check my documents one more time -- I had to carry my travel backpack with me, you can imagine how much document I had to bring. Metro ride, security check, looking for the court room, kept looking for the court room, found the court room, waited for the lawyer, then three of us went into the room. I later realized that he was not actually a judge, but under the title of "Dr." and his duty was never very clear to me, but he could give me a verdict, the most important one in my little life.

Take a moment to think what the stereotype of German judge would be like: skinny, old, tall, with round brown-rimmed glasses and absolute humorless? Bingo!

Three of us entered the room, we sat in front of a 5-drawer for documents, which was served as our table, then he entered the date of our ID cards, looked through every visa in my passport, had us signed the paper that we came without being under influences of drugs. I noticed that there was a Chinese calligraphy means "water" was framed and on the wall. Remember this, it comes handy later. Then my partner was given two sheets of paper full of questions, he was to answer them in another room while me sitting in front of the computer with the Doc.

"Are we waiting for an interpreter?"
"No." my lawyer crossed his legs.

So the process began: I had to answer 20 questions in details. Half of the questions were for Reality TV show, a quarter of them were ... the opposite of not-stupid. At times, it was not the question itself which made me unease, but his commonts. For example: what hold you guys together? I said comment interests, like reading, listening to music, traveling, photography. "But there is nothing to hold you together. I mean if you do a bike tour together and one's bike breaks down, you have to rely on the other. It works also for rock-climbing and hiking."
"But I don't do any sport."
"But nothing you do together promises to bind you guys together."
what does that mean? I am supposed to have a co-independence if I ever do sport? OK, move on.

"What did you do on Nov. 1 2008?"
"We went to Sanssouci." (For those who are unfamiliar with touristic area around Berlin, Sanssouci castle is the most famous one here. But the Doc took out a dictionary and looked up how to spell it! Are you kidding me? If you can't spell it, you probably won't be able to read my diplomas from France, am I right? )

He was so dry, I almost took out my water bottle and started pouring water on his head.

"It is not normal that you never went back to see your family."
"OK. It is not, maybe." AND?
"Can you prove that you studied in University of Marc Bloch in Strasbourg?"
"Yes."
"Can you show me the certificate."
"No. I didn't finish it."
"But can you prove that you did part of the studies?"
"It was online. I can contact my professors and have them send me something in written form."
"OK, so you can't prove it."
NEXT.
"Have you consider the age-difference would be a problem."
"No."
"Why do you think it is not important?"
"Should I?"
"How many years of age-difference did your parents have?"
"3."
"See?"
"No." ---Yes, they are separated. Good point.
"How long did you stay during your vacation in Berlin in June 2006?"
"I don't remember. 4 days? longer? Let's say 4 or 5 days."
"Did you work in the States?"
"Yes."
"As?"
"Italian assistant for a semester, in book stores, restaurants..."
"So you speak Italian?"
"Yes." --- I don't know how it works in your country, but when I was working, you sort of kind of have to speak the language in order to teach it.

I need to give him a gift -- a Chinese calligraphy means "ocean", apparently only water wouldn't do. We have a drought here.

"Did you celebrate for the engagement?"
"No."
"Why?"
Is it a trick question?
"Do you remember the exact date?"
"No."
"Who does he will invite to the ceremony?"
"I don't know."
.....

My partner spent half of the time to answer the same questions because he wrote down:"I find this question is too boring to be answered." or "This question makes no sense." etc. I spent an hour and a half, in front of a PC screen, waiting for him to type up 5 page, single spaced, no header or footer answers with two fingers. 5 PAGES, I am not kidding and I needed to sign every single page.

"You know what you are signing, right?"
"Yes." --- I just dictated the entire 5 pages, come on now.

The door was then opened, I was asked to be staying outside waiting with my lawyer while the Doc and my partner talk. In the corridor I was asking my lawyer if we could change the "judge", if we could have a repeal because from the last 90 minutes, I had the impression that he was trying all he might to prove me wrong and small: I have no job, didn't finish my studies in Strasbourg, didn't see my family for a long time, didn't go hiking... maybe at least we would need to plan on a repeal. Another half an hour later. Three of us were invited back to the office, and the Doc said that he would us a positive verdict, latest next Tuesday.

I can't tell you how I felt as we left the court. As if the feeling of happiness needed a moment to kick in. Well, it did. When I was eating microwaved rice with Tzatziki sauce and I thought I needed a better lunch because despite all, we did it. And maybe the Doc just the way he is, humorless in the office but probably amused by our careless attitude.

Now I am going out for some real food.

No comments: